Skip to content

The Un-launch party

December 2, 2013

So close, but so far. We were seaworthy by October 5, and ready to launch. But our boat hauler backed out at the last minute.* But we had a fantastic party anyway. I’ve put up Johan van der Merwe’s lovely set of pictures from the party.

Where do we go from here? Our plan had been to launch Oct 5, spend a week at the Independence Seaport museum doing sea trials and being a part of the tall ships festival, and then motoring the boat to Maine. Once the boat hauler broke our contract, we were stuck with a boat on land and the weather off the East Coast getting colder and rougher – while this hull can take some very heavy weather, making our maiden voyage in November seemed reckless. So we are staying put in Philly till the early spring.

We have used the time to find a reliable alternative hauler and launch point. We have also started building spars, so we will be able to launch her as a proper sail boat!

*I can enthusiastically NOT recommend Bob Brazill of Pleasantville New Jersey as a boat hauler. He is unreliable to say the least.

One Comment leave one →
  1. December 14, 2013 1:53 am

    Oh, no! Bob Brazill is off my list of boat haulers … if I ever get a boat on the East Coast. Party anyway — good response. Wait for a better day — another good response. You’ll have smooth sailing from here on … until you put that thing in the Atlantic. Cheers, Joe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: